Monday 8 August 2011

Anne Hathaway, 'Switched' by Amanda Hocking, and Princess Di.


Life doesn't seem to suit you, nobody really gets you, you don't get them, they don't show you the kind of respect you're due. Life is tough.
Then one day somebody tells you you're secretly royal. You don't believe them, of course, but they keep telling you. They give you a little bit of proof. in the end, inevitably, you believe. Hurrah!
You're royal, a proper prince or princess.
This story is played out in millions of books, films, songs. The latest I've read is Switched, by Amanda Hocking.
Alright, Hocking twists it a touch. Her heroine finds out she is a troll princess, a changeling who was swapped at birth, and who's mother hated her to the extent that she was diagnosed as insane and locked up. This stuff is interesting, but annoyingly skated over. It should be massively traumatic, especially the story of the boy who was abducted from her family and raised among strangers. He seems fine, everything seems mainly fine, apart from the massive trauma of deciding which boy to fancy.
But of course, as is the case in most of these stories, being royal turns out to be not as amazing as you hoped. The future of this young woman is a case in point...

Still, Hocking's heroine manages, and has the option to walk away, in the end. The lesson, maybe, is the though it seems so much duller, REAL LIFE can be much easier than ROYAL LIFE. My story, 'Song to Wake to' has a royal strand. It's due out on September 15th, and in the meantime I'd really like your help choosing the COVER... Thanks!


4 comments:

  1. I liked the trilogy overall. I won't spoil it for you, but just say that she makes some unexpected choices, especially in the third book. Most people have either loved or hated one decision she makes in particular. Enjoy them for yourself! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, if you choose to swing by my blog out of curiosity (and I'm not saying you'll do anything of the sort, which is perfectly fine) *don't* read the "Greetings and Salutations" post and comments. They contain spoilers for the Trylle books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Princess Diaries is one of my all time favourite movies. I love Anne Hathaway too, such a talented actress. I have got to go re-watch this film now.

    Although surprisingly I have never read the books. They are on my TBR list but I just never get round to them.

    Switched sounds interesting. I will have a look. :D

    Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. barnybex: The Princess Diaries books are very different from the movies. Not better or worse, just different. :0)

    ReplyDelete